



THE ANU OBSERVER

Agenda for Meeting of The ANU Observer Board Meeting

Date: 07/05/25

Opening of meeting: 06:30 pm

Item 1- Attendance

Sophie

Rowey

Maddy

Darcy

She

Mackenzie

Anneysha

Saffron

Item 2- Apologies

None

Item 3 - Acknowledgement of Country

By Darcy Davitt

I wish to acknowledge the Ngunnawal and Ngambri peoples as traditional custodians of the land we are meeting on and recognise any other people or families with connection to the lands of the ACT and region. We also acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region, and pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging.

Item 4: OGM Revision

Rowey: We're just at the moment looking into what happened at the last OGM, in regards to a potential stacking of votes and what we do about that. I think moving forward, we need to review our voting rules for elections in the future. Perhaps implementing more communication and understanding for the returning officer, a rule

that basically says you need to be in attendance to vote, and definitely that we know who is running beforehand.

Anneysha: Also just as a side note, I think we should implement that when reporters leave, we should delete their gmail accounts.

Item 5: Newsletter updates and plan

She: James is working on graphics to put out an ad for this, do we have an email list?

Anneysha: Yes, we just need to send out a link and people can subscribe.

Rowey: So we've got a link where people can sign up and James will put that on the ad?

She: Yes, and we're just waiting for the first round of information for the first newsletter.

Darcy: Yes! I've added a cryptic crossword. It's ANU themed. So that's ready, but we need news articles to start it.

Rowey: Is there a page limit you've got?

She: No, we'll just work around whatever's there.

Sophie: Do we want to try to round up those articles at the editors' meeting next week?

Anneysha: When's the date for expected publication?

She: End of semester maybe? Or what about the first day of semester 2?

Anneysha: Yeah around the first week of semester 2/bush week.

Rowey: So should we set our first newsletter to be distributed by the first week of sem 2? Let's plan to have a draft ready by 7 July, which is just before bush week. Ready for the 14th.

She: James said he can have the graphic done two weeks from now.

Sophie: Is that designed for social media or the newsletter?

She: Both basically.

Item 6: Print version update

Rowey: We also spoke about doing the print run for the newsletter. I've got a few quotes for that , but just wanted to talk to visual about that more. I think since it would be a once a semester thing, just doing almost exactly what you've got in the digital newsletter we could do almost an extended edition?

She: Yeah that's doable.

Rowey: I've reached out to about six different companies, and have got about two responses. All quotes I got were for tabloid sized papers. I also just went for the most basic paper. A lot of the quotes would let you only do a minimum of 1000 copies. At first, I thought that was a lot of newspapers, and I don't know how to justify printing that much paper also. The only company that did less than 1000 papers minimum was Newspaper Club, and the quote for that was \$2258. The second was 1000 copies for about \$1321.

She: If it helps, you know how I was getting a sound engineer for BNO, that's not happening anymore as they asked for more than I was quoted, but yeah basically we do have a bit extra now from that.

Rowey: They're Sydney-based, so we can collect it for free from Sydney, otherwise we can get it delivered at a price. If we were printing during the holidays, we could find a way to collect it from Sydney. I guess the main question is, broadly, do we want to go ahead? If we do go ahead, do we go with the 500 copies or 1000?

Maddy: I think 1000, it's a cheaper option for us.

Rowey: Okay so 1000 copies. Essentially what we need to do now is i need to email this guy back and just get a quote for delivery. We would need a specific date to have the print ready if that's possible. Including the graphics.

She: Okay so timeline, first newsletter is bush week. And then two weeks after that we have the physical?

Rowey: I think we want to have the physical for bush week as well, so that we can hand them out on market day.

She: So ready to launch in bush week, would mean how long do we have to put it together and submit?

Rowey: I'll get that timeline from him. They haven't given how long they take to print, but from memory it's around a fortnight turnaround for printing.

She: Yeah, if we could just confirm how long in advance we'd need to have a draft ready, we could probably work from there.

Rowey: Yes, sounds good I'll email him asking for that timeframe. I'll also ask the price of delivery.

Darcy: I can contact Will Burfoot about getting that in the ANUSA newsletter potentially.

Sophie: I'll just read out this excel sheet checklist with tasks and we can each assign a job.

Item 7: Satisfaction with SSAF requirements as per item 5.2.5 of ANU Observer Constitution

Maddy: Rowey and I went to the student services council and submitted our report. I also sent out our second invoice to our landlord but haven't heard back yet.

Rowey: Mack and Maddy, just for your handover documents also, are they ready?

Mack and Maddy: They're getting prepared now.

Rowey: Can we set a deadline for those? Maybe Friday of week 12?

Sophie: I'll add that to the checklist.

Maddy: Yep, and I'm going to have two meetings with Anish.

Rowey: Also with the card do we need to get Ryan to sign anything to hand that over?

Maddy: Possibly, I'll have a look into that.

Rowey: What's your end date here again?

Maddy: 15th of June!

Item 8: Meeting with ACSS podcast team and loan of equipment

Rowey: I met with Jessica from the ACSS podcast team. They reached out to us on 25 March. As part of their summit they do a podcast, essentially they get guests who they interview on like a 30 minute long podcast. I showed her our podcast room and we decided it might not be the best for having guests as a space. I did suggest that if they wanted somewhere to use to just film intros and outros, we can potentially lend that out. We do have a borrowing policy, but that's for people within Observer borrowing equipment. So it's a bit harder to navigate that with external people we don't know. So we'd hopefully find a time when someone on the board can be present. While I'd really like to do this and I think it'd be a good thing, I think it's a bit too complicated and risky for the moment.

Sophie: We also aren't the only people with podcast equipment on campus, so we wouldn't be depriving them of equipment.

Anneysha: ANU also has a podcast studio that we could refer them to. I've just sent you the link to that if you wanted to send that forward to them?

Rowey: Yeah perfect I'll just decline and send them that link.

Item 9: Constitution and style guide document update

Rowey: After combing through the constitution and our style guide document, I think we just need to tidy it all up if someone can potentially look at working on the format over the holidays. I think amending policies only has to be done at board meetings, but happy to look through that more later.

Item 10: Arbitration onboarding

Rowey: Just wanted to clarify how we can get into contact with our new arbitration panel members. Just because they're independent of us, I don't know how to go about talking to them as it's usually us getting approached.

Item 11: Honoraria payments

Maddy: There's a bunch of new people, so I got a bunch of new bank details. I don't have their emails, so I might reach out on slack. Also allowance payments will get posted this weekend, and payments will be at the end of this semester.

Anneysha: I don't know how honoraria is paid, we've got a new web member so I wanted to know how it works as maybe an incentive.

Maddy: Yeah so you can nominate someone and write a blurb with why they deserve honoraria, and how much they deserve.

Item 12: Other Business

Lanyards

Darcy: I got an email today saying they've been delivered to someone named Isabella. Potentially was Davey Lodge, so I'll look into that now.

Sophie: Have we ordered the plastic sleeves?

Maddy: Yes, we can order that to my house.

Meeting closed: 08:32 pm

Next board meeting: Wednesday Week 12